Michigan Avenue magazine is looking for editorial interns who are eager to gain invaluable print and digital magazine experience in the editorial department of our Chicago market office. Primary learning opportunities for interns include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Working closely with the Editor-in-Chief and Deputy Editor on various print-related projects, with the potential to write brief bylined pieces’
- Assisting with future story research and development
- Transcribing interviews
- Contributing to digital projects (social media and website content)
- Assisting with fact-checking
- Drafting social media copy
- Other experiences as available
Editorial interns will be supervised closely by the Deputy Editor, who will work with interns to strengthen their research, writing, and editing abilities and help them develop necessary skills for a career in publishing.
The ideal candidate should be organized, detail-oriented, Internet-savvy, positive, and proactive, with good writing skills and the ability to juggle multiple tasks and meet deadlines. This is an unpaid position. Interns must be currently enrolled in college and possess an interest in and enthusiasm for print media and lifestyle publishing; must receive course credit; and should be available 2 days a week from 10am to 5pm starting in Summer 2020 (May-August, with start and end dates flexible).
Please submit your résumé, cover letter (including availability and reasons for applying), and three writing samples/published clips to Kerry Snider, at firstname.lastname@example.org and Emma Jackson at email@example.com. Please indicate “EDITORIAL INTERN” in the subject field. No phone calls, please. Candidates under consideration will be contacted.